Saturday, January 7, 2012

Writing my first Artist's Statment in over a year

Artist's Statement

What my work is about

-nature

-energy : expressing and utilizing the energy from elements in nature, specifically things that experience monition that is obvious to human observation like water and air (wind). Currently focusing on / am more attracted to forms that seem more solid and stagnate like mountains (land mass) : representations of earth itself. Having one's feet on the ground, sturdy, while the ground it always subtly moving and changing.

-Taoist philosophy

-NYS landscape ; mountains

-human relationship with nature

-meditative ; repetitious

-process

-past work : talk about painting process, importance of texture and line, form





What I plan to accomplish at Saltonstall

-Saltonstall will provide me with the opportunity to jumpstart and begin development on a new path in my artistic process

I would like to use my time at Saltonstall to engage in and become immersed in the natural environment that the property can provide. I would like to use the time to engage in new ways of practicing and refining my media. I would like to establish a process that involves both working in nature and experiencing it has it is happening while recording more realistic representations of my surroundings (traditional nature studies). I would also like to utilize that practice by bringing it into the studio and engaging it with a more free-form, abstract mode of working and expressing my subject matter.

I would like my subject matter to express the unparalleled beauty of Upstate New York's landscapes while creating forms, lines, and textures that express the energy that those landscapes hold.

Media--painting and drawing (collage ?)


-talk about current mt. drawings, ideas of expansion (into paint and various mixed media)


As you can see, it's moving slowly and lacks organization. This is going to take some time...

No comments: