Monday, April 13, 2009

Vietnam: Day 29

Day 29 (Sunday, Feb 1, 09): Cycling in Vinh Long/Ho Chi Minh City (B,L,G)
Art 487:Vietnam Location Photography, 3 credits
Dawn rising: A boat cruise to the Cai Be floating market neceassitates an early start if we're to see the market at its best. Once we haven photographed the market our bicycles will be waiting for us. The route will take us along shadowy zigzagging roads and paths passing canal-side villages. orchards and many bridges, often small and narrow. After lunch, we'll reture to Ho Chi Minh City where we overnight.

1 Feb 2009 11:26pm Mekong River
Dear Journal,
Today I fell in the Mekong River. That is all.
2:55pm
So to better elabortae...
We were biking across a narrow bridge over the river. As we went over the tour guide sloed down, "Be careful". I was lossing balance and over turned my wheel left and almost over the bridge. Griffin "Allie, be careful!" Me "I'll just get off the bike and walk". Loss of balance. "Shit, I'm gonna hit that water. Camera!". Under water. Apparently it looked like I jumer. I don't know, my wanted to save the camera and my body just did stuff. The camera didn't get too wet. Griffin took it and the battery out. Evan took over from there. James pulled me out. Oh yea, the thought process before getting pulled out: "Out! Gross! Diseases! Crocdiles!! OUT NOW!!!" The guide pulled me away to a local house to clean off. I'm wearing Rachel's shirt, my running shorts, Ayelet's aqua socks. Somehow the bike fell in, I didn't know that until long after the fact.
As far as the camera goes, Evan said the battery, memory card and lens should be fine. Nothing got too wet. There's still some water in the body, notably the shutter. And that I shouldn't turn it on unitl we are in the states because. considering the humdity here, we don't know when it will totally dry out. I'm probably going to have to send it to Nikon and hope for the best. And at least it was with only 2 days left instead of earlier in the trip.
Eh, I guess I didn't want to shot that much more anyway.
I still can't believe that happened.
Only in Vietnam...

Looking back...
This was totally ridiculous; I'm kind of a mess. Turned out, that camera was able to be fixed via some sort of technological magic. I had to send it to Nikon twice, jerks. And for some reason it currently will not mount on my computer. Arg. Whatever. It was a very wet day.

random photo:

good photo:

No comments: