Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


During my last 2 weeks of freedom this summer, I decided it was finally time to pick up a novel and ready something that was not art/research related (not that I don't love that stuff too, but a change of pace was needed). Incidentally, it was not too far off the beaten path from most of the things I had read this summer. Combo father/son road trip story, Zen philosophy, motorcycle care philosophy, a dive into a past psychological breakdown all thrown together in a very natural stream-of-conscious format. I don't want to reveal too much plot in the event that you want to read it yourself (which I recommend). Definitely made me think a lot about universal thought, philosophy, the mind, and (the definition of) insanity.

So passages I fell in love with:

"...we could not possibly be conscious of these things and remember all of them because our mind would be so full of useless details we would be unable to think. From all this awareness we must select and call consciousness is never the same as the awareness because the process of selection mutates it. We take a handful of sand from the endless landscapes of awareness around us and call it the world." p 97

"Sanskirt doctrine of 'Tat tvam asi', 'Thou are that', which asserts that everything you think you are and everything you think you perceive are undivided. To realize fully this lack of division is to become enlightened." p 177

No comments: