Sunday, January 11, 2015

Winter: An Introduction

After lots of dreaming, planning, thinking, talking, packing, and debating I made my way to Vermont last week. Since arriving I've settled into a place to live, met loads of new people, fought off (most of) a cold, and started what I came to do: baking bread.

Getting here was a process that took months of energy and uncertainty. I'd been in contact with Bread and Butter Bakery as well as other bakeries since the summertime trying to see who had the space and willingness to help me fulfill the education I was seeking. It took some time to hear back from folks and some time to weigh the options. Truthfully, most everyone was willing to have the conversation and all of the options seemed excellent. As life would have it right as the balls were getting rolling a few additional challenges sprung up. The Subaru I was driving shit the bed and suddenly a vehicle expense was in the very near future and a searching for affordable housing was underway. As life would also have it both of those challenges presented graceful and ideal solutions, even with whatever sleep I lost over them.

Once the vehicle was resolved and the housing was about it to be resolved with just a visit, I, with Eli and Luke's brainstorming and encouragement, packed and loaded the car for Vermont. Holy shit, here we go.




With the car loaded with the most important needs for the next 2 1/2 months and Eli in the passenger seat, off we went. The drive was smooth, meeting people to live with was great, and Christina acted as a wonderful host during the quick but thoughtful decision making process. Two days later I was moved into a place with two lovely roommates and their two great dogs in Colchester, VT.

The past week has been one of the fullest. I've moved into a new place, met so so many new and amazingly friendly people, found a great yoga studio, only skimmed the surface of the geological beauty of the Green Mountain state, fired the oven (!!), and assisted in making some truly wonderful bread. Each experience warrants its own story and I'm still noddling on how to give everything the attention it deserves. I'm sure I'll get to all the best parts in detail soon enough, but for now here are a few pictures from the week:









No comments: