Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fasting

For most of my life my image of fasting revolved around religious traditions, all of which I held little to no stock in. Whether it was just removing one type of food from one's diet or ceasing consumption altogether, I could not wrap my mind around the idea of depriving oneself of basic nourishment (especially one that is often so enjoyable).

It wasn't until about a year ago that the concept of fasting as a cleansing experience was brought to my attention. And the more I thought about, the more I began to see it as a challenge or an experiment. As someone who structures her life around food, could I go a day without eating anything? And, if so, what would it be like?

Several months ago, I gave it a shot. I got hangry (That's right, hungry and anger. One word. It's a very real state of being). My blood sugar was low and I was unfocused and irritable. I ate lunch at 1pm. Game over. Experiment failed.

I now have a friend who fasts (just about) once a week. Like most of the people in my life right now, this is someone who has a contagious excitement towards food. That being said, it was very interesting to see him fast as often as he does. So with the idea back on my radar, I decided that I would try a 24 hour fast. You know, eventually. When I had a day to commit to it. A day when I wasn't cooking much or when I wasn't very active. But who I am trying to kid? I don't have many inactive days.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have witness 2 friends commit it multi-day fasts. One just completed 10 days (she was even going on runs!) The other (who I mentioned above) is on the 5th day of 7.

In addition to this conversation about fasting I have been having with myself (and with others), I have also been trying to take closer looks at my eating habits. What do I eat? How do I feel when I eat those things? How much sugar am I consuming? How much bread? Am I eating enough vegetables? What about protein? How do I start working meat back into my diet? Should I really keep eating this late at night? And why, why do I keep passing such rancid gas?

Yesterday I ate a large, fulling breakfast and a lunch of a similar fashion while continuously snacking and whatever was out of the table. When it came to be dinner time (6-7pm), I wasn't hungry. Maybe this is the time. My Saturdays are as low key or intense as I want them to be.

So I didn't eat dinner. I didn't mention that I was fasting. I even woke up hungry this morning and made plans with myself to eat breakfast and drink coffee at the market. But when the place I decided on for breakfast had a line out the door, I reassessed my hunger. Hungry? Not really. Okay, let's do this.

Worked the market stand for a while, surrounded by wonderful food. No big deal. It wasn't until about 10:30am when I wanted to start hurting consumers. I needed something. Apple cider. I drank a quart.

I did not hydrate as well as I should have today either.

Moods and level of hunger came and went in waves.

A very strange observation : I had not pooped all day (until, literally, just now). But at the market, I got the sensation that I needed to shit. Not that usual, expect for the fact that it was very overwhelming. Like I got lightheaded and even a little dizzy. Then it passed, like nothing. Strange.

After an active morning at the market, I had some very physically inactive time. Reading about food.

I had told myself that I would hold out and eat dinner between 6 and 7pm. I bought salmon at the market. Covered it with onion, olive oil, almond butter, and seasoning and let it sit in the fridge while I waited for my friend/roommate to return to eat dinner with him.

It wasn't until I tried to work on some projects did I realize just how badly my body and mind were ready for food. Maybe part of it was knowing food was in the very near future, but I knew my blood sugar was low.

Okay, just the heel of this bread and some butter. And a bit of chocolate. Hmm, these leftover pumpkin bars look awesome. Devoured quickly, not very mindfully. Step back, consider.

Dinner : the salmon and some bok choy, mushroom, onion sauteed. Ate with a friend and conversation. Mindfully. In my last few bites, I started to feel heavier already and hoped I wasn't overeating. Considering I am eating chocolate now, 45 minutes later, I don't think I did.

All in all, I don't really know how much I gained from the experience. It wasn't as profound as I had originally imaged it. Would I do it again? I think so. For longer, quite possibly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

fascinating, allie.
i am so afraid of being hungry, never fasted, but i meet people who fast all the time, especially when they're sick. Ayurveda says one could benefit from fasting while sick. But i always like to eat rawfood and juice when i'm sick.

pleasure,
Nur

ORGANIC FOREVER

ayonch said...

Lots of friends have been doing the fruit fast (3 days of only fruit...of course this includes tomatoes, zucchini, etc).

When we were hiking in Peru it was really awesomely clear how little food we actually needed to sustain a really high level of activity...miles of hiking hilly terrain at high elevation with heavy pack...only 3 small meals a day. No snacks, tea for dessert. We really overindulge most of the time huh