Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vietnam: Day 16

Day 16 (Monday, Jan 19, 09): Sapa/Lao Cai/Hanoi (B, L, GP)
After breakfast, we'll plant some trees to contribute to the re-forestation of the area, help with painting the local school, or whatever else needs to be done. After lunch, you'll return to Sapa then to Lai Cai Station for boarding the overnight sleeper train leaving at 20:15-04f:30 to Hanoi.

19 Jan 2009 10:33am Sapa-homestay
After our 3 night stay here, we are heading back to the city of Sapa for a few hours before boarding another sleeper train to head back to Hanoi. I work up with a voice this morning, which is a good sing. Although my throat is still sore and startchy.
Last night, a group of locals preformed some New Year's dances and songs by bonfire side. It was a pretty great thing to see, I got some soil pictures out of it. After that, Priscilla took a group to the wedding celebration next door to get drunk with the locals while the rest of us watched the embers die out and discussed the recent dramatic events regarding various members of the group. At this point, I feel I'v discussed ir and heard it discussed to the point of exhaustion, so I feel no need to waste my time talking about it here.
Sapa so far has been my favorite fo all the locations. The people and things have been so interesting. I've never going to want to leave this country.
It's also interesting to see how our concept of money and spending has changed since we've been here. It is expected that you bargin with people. Everything is so cheap, when it comes down to American dollar, but anything for 50, 000 dong (less than $3) seems expensive. It is wild how a new culture will change your perspective on things.

Looking back....
Those few days in Sapa are kind of a run together into a huge mass of Sapa-ness. This day marks the halfway point of the trip, and boy, does it get exciting from here. (oh god) In considering this day, I can only think of the events that follow in the hours after that entry and its overwhelming my mind.
mmm...sorry these reflection portions are starting to lack things. The further away from January I get, the harder it becomes to reflect.
Then again, this was also a pretty easy day compared to the rollarcoaster ride the trip is about the go on.

random photo:
good photo:

No comments: