Monday, March 23, 2009

Vietnam: Day 17

Day 17 (Tuesday, Jan 20, 09): Hanoi (B)
In the early morning, we arrive at Hanoi railway station, and are greeted by one of the guiding staff members and driven to the hotel to freshen up before breakfast. The rest of the day will be self guided in Hanoi.
Art 382: Alternative Photographic Process, 3 credits
Making Digital Negatives for Day 21

20 Jan 2009 10:32am Hanoi
We got into Hanoi via sleeper train at 5am. Things are not looking good. Last night on the train, S, who has been having stomach problems since we've entered the country, was profoundly ill last night. She was experiencing pains in her side to the point that she could barely move. P told us she had a panic attack. I didn't believe her, even then. She also.....S had lost all feeling in half her body and had to be carried off the train. She and P went the the hospital. As of 6am, we heard it was "anxiety and dehydration" and that they are running blood tests. I still didn't believe that. Evan just called saying to not leave the hotel until noon and that she wanted to have a meeting. No word otherwise. I'm scared. And I do not trust her.
10:53pm Hanoi
Well 12 hours later..
S had a stomach ulcer and is very lucky...considering the amount of warning and harm such a condition comes with. She's in the hospital...P said she would be fine, they can't move her for 5 days and that she's happy to no longer be in pain.
P also admitted to lying to us about S's condition on the train and apologized, although it still didn't feel right. I was so angry. As she asked us each how we were doing, I felt someone has to start it off and I couldn't just go by not saying anything.
I told her that I was upset and confuse about her not telling us the truth, and that we should have known. We need to know that she trusts us in order for us to trust her. It seemed as if I was getting through to her on some level, but only time will tell what really sticks. I was very relieved to have at least 3 people ready to back up what I had to say seconds after I spoke. However, .... [as a few people tried to] call P out on....her questioning of people and the various rumors that had been flying around. That was certainly not a road I was trying to go down, especially considering it was a very poorly explained road at that.
....
So tomorrow we still get on the plane to Danang, P will be joining us...sometime. Evan is still the responsible one and we will all have a stress-free P-free week or so or something in Hoi An.

Looking back...
It took me a few days to get up the energy to write this entry, as I knew exactly what it contained. I have not pre-read any of these entries as I type them and I always feel like I am reliving the experience as I read; this was the toughest and realist so far. I'm still not sure how to properly reflect on it. There are some really important things in this entry, in terms of both events and things I was thinking or saying. How there are some many things that foreshadow later events, later tones.
As to not worry anyone, S is currently happy and healthly.
We are still only just over halfway through this journey, so don't think it's anywhere near over.
And in terms of the day we all had while we were waiting for P and news: No one ever slept after the train because breakfast was opening by the time we all showered Sapa off. Then we waited. Then P called at noon, as I was skyping Ben, and said she wouldn't be back until 6pm. Then we all ate an Americanized meal at Koyto and walked around Hanoi. James, Griffin and I got lost as hell and ended up on the other side of the city and had to take a taxi back. Then we chilled in the hotel until P came. You know the rest.

Photos, finally...

random photos:

good photos:

No comments: